Mold Precautions

ALLERGY AND ASTHMA TREATMENT CENTER

SAAD SANYURAH, M.D.

MOLD OR FUNGUS PRECAUTIONS

Molds are a low form of plant life which have no chlorophyll, and therefore, are unable to make their own food.  They must feed on living or dead organic matter.  This means that mold can grow on anything of plant or animal origin.  These fungi require no sunlight as do chlorophyll bearing plants, but can grow and thrive in total darkness, in the ground, in caves, or in tree trunks.  The fruit or spores are air borne by winds, insects and man.  These spores carried by air currents are difficult to escape, but excessive exposure should be avoided and the following suggestions are helpful in this respect:

  1. Damp, musty basements should be avoided (mold makes this odor).
  2. Avoid raking, burning or jumping in fallen leaves.
  3. Avoid walking through weedy fields or vacant lots.
  4. Old dusts such as that from mattresses or furniture grow mold.
  5. Unheated buildings, barns and garages grow molds.
  6. Avoid hay and straw which are always moldy.  Also peat moss, compost and saw dust may harbor mold.
  7. Avoid playing under shrubbery or climbing trees.
  8. Mold grows on tree bark, so avoid stacking or playing on fireplace logs.
  9. Mattresses, couches and pillows in unheated cottages should be avoided.
  10. Avoid deep woods and caves.
  11. Molds and smuts infest feed grains so avoid combining, shoveling oats or corn.
  12. Greenhouses are moldy, so they should be avoided.
  13. Mildewed articles should be either disinfected or destroyed.
  14. Do not remove mold from a food and then eat it.
  15. Keep mold off household plants.
  16. Natural Christmas tree should be avoided.  Use artificial trees.
  17. Clothing that has been stored for a long time tends to accumulate mold.  Therefore, air out the clothing properly.
  18. Electrostatic filters tend to reduce air borne fungi.
  19. If your basement is damp and moldy, a dehumidifier may be of value.

To clean mildew use the below mixture:

MILDEW RECIPE

  • 3 ounces of Tri Sodium Phosphate (Borax)
  • 1 ounce of house hold detergent
  • 1 quart of Chlorox
  • 3 quarts of warm water
  • 2 ounces of Lysol

Total:  1 Gallon

*Use with gloves